Sunday, October 6, 2013

GLAD (Guided Language Acquisition Design) Training (Professional Development Reflection)

This is my favorite quote! It is posted on a window in the
library and Creekside Middle School. I'm so glad to see that
others are promoting reading with these special words.
The Guided Language Acquisition Design, so cutely acronym-ed GLAD, jam-packed my brain with classroom strategies for two entire days (October 1st and 2nd). I really took so much away from this training. These two days stood as an overview of the model, but I will be returning to Creekside Middle School (Woodstock, IL) next month for four additional days where I will be given the opportunity to see these strategies play out in the classroom.

As a new teacher, I feel like a little sea sponge. I just want to soak up as much knowledge as I can. I am continually reflecting and evaluating my performance as a new teacher, so the more strategies that are made available to me, the more prepared I feel. After the first half of Quarter 1 comes to an end, and after much reflection on my beginning units, I feel ready now to jump in even more forcefully than ever. My Strategic Literacy class could have been much better planned, and I'm sort of kicking myself in the behind for not being better prepared; but I'm all-the-more motivated and encouraged to plan an out-of-this-world unit on the disastrous happenings of the Titanic.

The bilingual department of District 205 sent me to the GLAD training, so initially I thought it was geared strictly for my ESL classes, but after learning about the many different strategies, I can (and will!) absolutely use what I've learned in my Literacy classes as well.

The walls of the training room were plastered with TONS of example posters. I took ovre 75 photographs. I've included some of my favorites.




 
This is an Inquiry Chart. It's similar to the KWL chart, except that there is no 'L' (which I enjoy, because how often to do really go back and fill in the 'L' column of the chart after we've finished the assignment?). In the left hand column, students are asked to write about what they already know about a topic. In the right hand column, students are asked to write about what they want to know about a topic. You can see the different colored markers. What's nice about this chart is that it will go up on the wall and stay there through the entirety of the unit. You will notice the orange marker. After students have learned more about the topic, the teacher can go in later with a different colored marker and add additional or new ideas (the 'L' comes into play here).
This pictorial input chart is also really neat. Do you see how well-drawn this is?! One of the trainers began with a blank poster and made this! This chart is used as a great visual, especially for ESL students. Rather than simply lecturing at students, you can involve them with the learning by asking them to contribute to the picture, repeat what you write after you say it out loud, and add realistic pictures right on top of what you've drawn.

 
I will have MUCH more to report after I begin implementing many of these strategies into my lessons this week. 

1 comment: