Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Class is MOST DEFINITELY in session!

I'm well into my very first week of teaching, and words cannot describe my new experiences. To say the least, I've felt an extremely diverse range of emotions: ecstatic, ambitious, scared, anxious, worried, stressed, happy, comfortable, relaxed, etc. During my first couple of days of training last week, I worried myself sick over a number of things. First, I hadn't even been to the high school until Thursday of last week, leaving me with little time to acclimate myself to the environment and prepare for students. Second, my class rosters weren't posted online until Friday. Third, I was told not only would I not have my own classroom, but that I would be teaching in five different classrooms throughout the day. After three nights of little sleep, I finally said to myself, "There's nothing I can do about the obstacles that come my way. I need to relax and enjoy every moment of this. Things will work out because they have to." Since Friday, I've been un-Vanessa-ing-ly CALM. I even managed to steal myself a wood and metal, paint-splattered cart to call home while I'll be traveling from class to class. All of that being said, I LOVE MY NEW CAREER!
The new Ms. Noonan!
Look at that adorable, cheesy smile :)
 
*                    *                    *

I read this today while looking for some solid ways to establish my classroom environment. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did:

That Noble Title
Teacher
- Trish Marcuzzo
 

As we begin each new school year, let us remember the fine nuances and the distinguishing essence of that proud word Teacher.

Let us be reminded of the tools you have at your command, because of your talents, your traits, and your training...and because you chose to become a Teacher.

Teacher - you are a poet, as you weave with your colorful magic language a passion for your subject. You create a vast and grand mosaic of curiosities to imagine, secrets to unfold, connections only to begin the cycle of learning.

Teacher - you are a physicist, as you bring magic, logic, reason, and wonder to the properties, changes, and interactions of our universe.

Teacher - you are a maestro, a master of composing, as you conduct and orchestrate individuals' thoughts and actions from discordant cacophony into harmonic resonance.

Teacher - you are an architect, as you provide each student a solid foundation, but always with a vision of the magnificent structure that is about to emerge.

Teacher - you are a gymnast, as you encourage the contortions and gyrations of thoughts and the flexing and strengthening of ideas.

Teacher - you are a diplomat and the ambassador of tact and sensitivity, as you facilitate productive, positive interactions among the multiplicity of personalities and cultures, beliefs, and ideals.

Teacher - you are a philosopher, as your actions and ethics convey meaning and hope to young people who look to you for guidance and example.

As you prepare for your first day and each day, when your students enter and you encounter their attitudes, ranging from eager, enthusiastic anticipation to uncomfortable, uncertain apathy, recall the powers you have within...from poet to philosopher...and present yourself to those students as a person worthy of the noble title... Teacher.

*                    *                    *
 
I can't even describe how much my kids ROCK. Sure, there will always be the few students who hate reading (which makes me extremely sad), think I'm so un-cool, refuse to pay attention, and simply cannot keep their mouths shut during my class periods. But out of my almost 100 students, I couldn't have been more lucky.

Here's what my day looks like:

Period 1 - Strategic Literacy
Period 2 - ESL English 3
Period 3 - ESL English 4
Period 4 - Plan Period
Period 5 - ESL English 5
Period 6 - Lunch
Period 7 - Plan Period
Period 8 - Strategic Literacy

I have four preps, which may seem like a lot, and it is, but I really enjoy teaching mostly different things throughout the day rather that teaching the same content period-in, period-out.

Tuesday was also interesting because of the high heat index. The district let us out two hours early (1:45) so that students could try and get home before it was too hot to deal with. I'm torn on this. On the one hand, most of the school does not have AC, so it does get extremely hot in the classrooms; but on the other hand, I never got any time off due to heat. We went to school in rain, snow, tornados, and especially heat when I was younger. But hey, two periods off was a nice surprise (even though it was day 2!).

More to come this weekend. I apologize if I haven't really existed to anyone these past two weeks. As a brand new teacher, I don't have any resources to pull out from last year. I'm starting fresh, which means I am working both at East HS and at home to stay on top of my planning. No complaints here - I love it!!


As soon as I received all of my employee information,
I went straight to B&N to sign-up for my Educator card!!

1 comment:

  1. Vanessa,

    You are off to a great start. It is fun to watch you begin this journey. I'm praying God will bless and keep you and watch over you.

    I want to encourage you to pray too each day on your drive into work. Don't close your eyes, but just talk to God about your hopes, dreams, fears, concerns, and challenges. He'll step alongside you in this journey.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete